Thursday, October 27, 2011

When Ta’u Pupu’a Met Fellow Polynesian Dame Kiri Te Kanawa

Polynesian Delight: Pupu'a and Te Kanawa
"In March 2007, I went to a performance of Il Trittico at the Met, and I saw a poster saying Dame Kiri Te Kanawa will be signing autographs at the performance. I was so excited because she is also Polynesian – she’s half, and I’m full. After Il Tabarro I went out and stood in line. They had me write my name beforehand so she would know to write 'To Ta’u Pupu’a, from Dame Kiri.' She looked at my name on the card and looked up to me. She then said, 'What do you do?' I exclaimed, 'I’m a tenor!' She asked if I was in school, and I said no. And then she said, 'How can I help you?' I looked at her and didn’t understand what she meant. She then said, 'I would like to help you.' Next, she turned to her assistant and said, 'Robert, give him my phone number.' And she turned back to me and said, 'Call me. Call me tonight.' I got her number and I was on Cloud Nine! The intermission finished with Suor Angelica and I was so anxious I couldn’t even sit through Gianni Schicchi. I walked home and kept thinking, 'What just happened??'" Read the rest of the fascinating and inspirational story over at the San Francisco Opera blog by clicking here.